Janu Sirsasana with the support of a bolster
Janu Sirsasana / Head to knee pose with support
Head to Knee pose with support is a sitting asana with a forward bend. Forward bend asanas like Janu Sirsasana calm the brain and the central nervous system. They can relieve anxiety and help our bodies wind down. This month we are focusing on the mental health benefits of yoga and mediation. Grab a flat bolster, fold over it, and relax.
Benefits of using a yoga bolster in Janu Sirsasana
Forward folds can be challenging for beginners. They require flexibility in the legs and back. Using a bolster makes the pose more accessible for all bodies, practicing all levels of yoga. A flat bolster provides support to stay in the pose and get more calming benefits of the forward fold.
How to come into January Sirsasana with a flat bolster
- Sit with legs out straight. Sit on folded blankets or an atlas bolster if you need more height under your hips.
- Bend the left leg and bring the sole of the foot to the inner thigh.
- Place the flat bolster on the top of the right leg.
- Grab hold of the end of the bolster, lift the side ribs and chest.
- Inhale and on the exhale fold forward.
- Stay for a few breaths or a few minutes. Repeat on the second side.
Other forward folds to add to your practice include: Paschimottanasana /seated forward bend Stretch of the western side and Upavistha Konasana /Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend
Pose of the Week features our current demonstrator for Inner Space Yoga. Demonstrators are also featured on InnerVeiws. Using both platforms, we are inspiring people to practice yoga by showing real people using our products, and by sharing real people demonstrating yoga philosophies in their daily lives. Read our introduction and watch an InnerView with Jardana here. Read about their work at People's Hub here.
Want to hear more from Jardana?
We have 10 copies to give away! Buy a bolster, and leave a note in your order that says, "YES Please! Send me a book for free." We'll add it to your bolster and ship it to your door.